30 May 2011

Iskolar ng Bayan

Hey there! I'm Arlyn Eunice Rivera, 17 years old. I know I'm not supposed to say private things on a public blog, but what the hell, it's summer. I'm bored to death and I seriously have nothing else to do but to download movies, so I might as well make good use of the internet and impart my silly thoughts to the whole world (even though I am pretty certain no one actually cares).

Anyway, I am an incoming junior at the University of the Philippines Diliman. I know you're asking, "What's your course?" That would have to be the most irritating question I have heard for two years; I was truly desperate to shift out of my college. Why, you may ask? I must warn you, the story you might read is all about me. If you do not like my conceitedness, leave. :)

Everyone excels in something--Math, Science, English, Arts, etc. I am best in English. I love public speaking. I am a grammar freak (For those who are freakier than I am, please don't hesitate to correct my grammar. No, wait, this is my blog. Mind your own business.). Being a freak nevertheless, I had (oops, I still have) no idea what I want to be when I grow up. Evidently, I did not know what course to pursue when the UPCAT application was presented to me. I did not even want to go to UP; I was tired of being the "smart one" in the family. I just wanted to be a normal college student, and my first impression of UP was that it was all about academics. I have had enough of that in elementary and high school. I only wanted to see if I was smart enough to pass the UPCAT. Anyway, I applied for BS Business Administration as my first choice and my second choice was the course my uncle's ex-girlfriend graduated from--BS Geodetic Engineering. She was the only person I knew from UP so it is very clear how unserious I was about entering UP. I even wrote down Nursing and Pharmacy as my other courses even though I never dreamt of being a doctor my whole life (although I wanted to be a crime scene investigator, until I realized how incompetent this job is in the Philippines. No offense).

Months later, I was told that I passed the UPCAT. My course? BS Geodetic Engineering. No shock there, since almost everyone applies for BS BAA. This made me not want to go to UP even more, but alas, family and financial problems gave me no other choice.

For two years, I was an Engineering student, but I did not take any Engineering subjects. I wanted to shift. That was my only goal. I applied for BA Broadcast Communication after my freshman year but I did not know that I was to compete with more than one hundred people for a slot out of 20-25. It was very crucial. I failed to shift. Don't ask me why or I swear, I will hate you forever.

After my sophomore year, I applied for four courses: BA Film, BA Broadcast Communication, BA Speech Communication and BA Psychology, my priority being in that order. After 3 interviews and 3 exams (Psych only considers your grade), I passed both Film and Speech Comm. You cannot imagine the length of the smile plastered on my face when I learned that. I really want to pursue Film, but I am terrified that my family may not be able to handle the finances. I thought BroadComm was really for me, but God has His plans. I am wholeheartedly proud that I am (well, soon to be) a BA Speech Communication major!

So this is my advice to all UPCAT takers out there, and to other students who are still undecided: know what you really want but also think of other people that would be affected. Everyone told me that it would be easy to shift but let me tell you this: don't take any chances. Get it right from the start. My biggest regret is not writing down the course of my choice. I really tried to be an Engineering student but you can't force something that does not fit. Pursue what you love. In terms of finances, choose another one :)) As for choosing your school, make UP your priority. It took a long time for me to realize how it is and will be helpful to me and my family.

Another advice: keep reading my blog :) Padayon, UP!

13 comments:

  1. "I thought BroadComm was really for me, but God has His plans. I am wholeheartedly proud that I am (well, soon to be) a BA Speech Communication major." Congrats ate! :-bd Ang saya mo siguro ;)

    --Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. sooooobraaaaaaa hindi ko naramdaman 'to nung pumasa ko ng UPCAT! para kong freshie na excited mag-UP ng bonggang bongga! :)))))))) thank you grace! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I really tried to be an Engineering student but you can't force something that does not fit. Pursue what you love"...tamaaaaa! well said!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to the College of Engineering to get my permit to transfer but the people there told me that it was still not ready. I waited until 4PM. They said I would have to come back tomorrow. Once I walked out of the office, I broke down. If this continues, I might not be able to shift. I could not stop crying. The only thing I have ever wanted this badly was to shift and it was like they were trying to take it away from me, so I called the only person who can help me: my Mom.-----
    ang galing-galing naman ng Mommy mo, siguro bukod sa matapang ang ganda-ganda pa niya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Ate Diosa: what un a. hindi who. HEHE :)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. @"Anonymous": Everyone knows it's you, Mom :)) mali ka pa ng post na nilagyan ng comment :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello :) I am a UP Manila freshman and I would like to shift to Speech Comm in Diliman next semester. Can I ask for some pointers about the exam and interview? Please :( Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there! The interview goes first before the exam. There would be three interviewers. They would first ask you to pick from a bowl an icebreaker. Mine was "If a genie appeared before you today and gave you one wish, what would it be?" Of course, I said I wish I would be able to shift to Speech Comm :)) After that, they'll be looking at your grades and the subjects you've already taken. Usual questions are why do you want to shift to Speech Comm, why are you leaving your present course, what are your future plans, and if you've taken Comm 3, what's the most memorable topic for you. The interviewers are really laid-back. They were even eating while interviewing me. A dog was also inside the room and it even peed before my interview :)) The exam is much easier. It's more of a formality. You would be asked to listen to a recording then answer questions about what you've heard. There is also an essay part. If I'm not mistaken, the question was how would you give back to the Philippines. Or something like that. That's it! Just relax and practice speaking in English. Show that you really like the course. God bless! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quit being delusional monkeys. It's just another third world university which does not even rank on Times Higher World University Rankings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a UP Los Banos freshmen and I would like to transfer to BA Film next year. May I also ask for some pointers and tips for the interview and the exam? (I hope you could still see this)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! If I remember correctly, we had to watch a movie (Foster Child) then write an essay about it. I'm not sure but I think only a few passed the written exam then moved on to the interview. It was a panel interview--three interviewers (who I believe are all professors) with three interviewees (tip: it's very cold inside the rooms in Film! Wear a jacket. I looked like a nervous wreck because my teeth were chattering). The only questions I remember are what my favorite movie was (I answered American Love Story) and why I wanted to shift to Film. Of course, you have to impress the professors. Don't give shallow answers, especially when you explain the reason behind that movie being your favorite. They did not ask anything technical. Just show them that you are really interested and that you can offer something to the department :) Hope this helps!

      Delete
  11. Hi! I'm an engineering student but I'm planning to shift to BA BroadComm next semester. May I ask some tips/pointers regarding the exam and (especially) the interview? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi!! Ohmygosh same problem as u po :<< I never thought i'd pass up diliman im not an industrial engg student huhu(it was my first choice as a joke cos my parents aand friends thought I wouldnt be able to pass it hahahuhu). what should i prepare po for the broadcomm exam :<< i really want to shift po huhu

    ReplyDelete